Sunday, August 14, 2011

Archer_typography_Portraits







Typography Portraits

On this project the class had to reconstruct a photo using fonts only. I learned about many things in Illustrator, including what fonts are available, how to size and rotate fonts, how to change font attributes to change shading and weight. I studied Line, Shape and Value type portraits.

For the Value Portrait I used the words of the "Lean on Me" song because my daughter and her husband are leaning on each other in the photo. Using heavier weights and more compressed fonts I provided the darker shading. Using lighter weights and greater spacing in fonts I created lighter shading. To get the text to fill the shape we learned how to use the area type tool. Using that tool we are able to fill in the shapes created by the pen tool.

For the line Portrait I used a picture of my daughter’s. I used font size, weight, and spacing to darken and lighten lines. I outlined their facial features, hair and neckline. We used the pen tool to make a line. Then using the type tool chose a great font, changed spacing and weight. I learned how to use an amazing tool offered by Illustrator, called type on path tool. It works to fill in types on lines. When using this tool the type follows the pen line, therefore; allowing the text to create the image desired.

For the Shape Portrait I used a photo of my nephew Tyler - here I used individual letters to create shapes to recreate the shapes in the photo. This was fun because you had to view the characters as shapes. The options of type fonts allow you to be very creative. Combining the fonts, re-sizing them, changing the font weight and spacing allows the artist to put fonts together to create the image they are looking for. Using J's for hair, i and l's for straight lines, c's for curves, and other combinations allowed me to achieve the desired result. This project helped in becoming familiar with fonts, how to use them creatively, and how to rotate and position them.

These type portraits were an interesting project which taught great illustrator techniques. Creating typography portraits are time consuming.



No comments:

Post a Comment